Wednesday, March 15, 2017

What are the Differences in Bible Translations

Can you trust your Bible Translations?



2 Timothy 2:15 KJV-- Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman who needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

This week I would like to discuss Bible Translations  and I would love to have you participate, if possible. Even if you only read your Bible, every now and then.

The reason I am bringing this up is because I believe that there are some “water down” versions of the scripture due to their loose translations, which will hinder a believer understanding. For instance in Romans chapter 16, The Apostle Paul, is giving his personal greetings to “mostly” women in the faith.

It starts off : I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon[a][b] of the church in Cenchreae. I ask you to receive her in the Lord in a way worthy of his people and to give her any help she may need from you, for she has been the benefactor of many people, including me. NIV

Now I must have just skimmed through this last chapter of Roman’s because Yesterday, Helen and I were going through it and I for the first time seen that there was a woman Apostle.

Now let’s compare the difference between the KJV, Authorized KJV NIV and the ESV for verse 7.

  KJV R16:7 -- Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among[d] the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was.
AKJV R16:7-- Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellow prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me. 

 NIV R16:7--  Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among[d] the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was.

ESV R16:7--  Greet Andronicus and Junia,[c] my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners. They are well known to the apostles,[d] and they were in Christ before me.

For my taste the ESV, waters down the true meaning of this verse. I know many pastors use the ESV, today.  Without studying some of these translations that are on the market are not that great.
For myself I prefer the KJV and the NIV. My son Darrick, likes the NLT (New Living Translation.) which I haven’t read.

Perhaps for some of you this little post will provoke you to investigate different translations. The Internet makes Bible study easy and free. The link provided is to “Bible Gateway,” and compares the difference in all the translations for 2 Timothy 2:15

So why even bring up a discussion on Translations? 

I’ll let Paul the Apostle answer this question from Romans chapter 16:17
17 I urge you, brothers and sisters, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. 18 For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naive people. 19 Everyone has heardabout your obedience, so I rejoice because of you; but I want you to be wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil.

What are some Bible Translations you folks like to use For accuracy?

Of course if you don't know why you should study your Bible you should read this post



1 comment:

  1. Have you looked at the New English Translation (NET)? I just recently started using it, and I love it for study, the notes are amazingly helpful. I usually read multiple versions, NIV, NAS, ESV, NLT, but NET has become my favorite. It's readable, but includes a ton of commentary on the act of translating the text and why they chose the words they did.

    Check out the note on the verse you quote:

    https://lumina.bible.org/bible/Romans+16

    ReplyDelete